Friday, October 16, 2015

Perks of Being a Wallflower

    

    It's not often that I come across a phrase that gives words to the feelings. To be perfectly honest, I have a love-hate relationship with this reality. It's a side that I have grown to embrace and have come to accept as something that is an essential part of me, largely because nowadays I accredit all my "odd" quirks to my kind-of recent discovery of personality types, and the fact that I apparently fall under the INFJ bunch. A rare breed, we are. Anyway, I'm an introvert, did I mention? I somewhat feel it important to explain this tidbit to everyone I meet, especially those just meeting me for the first time. Maybe because I know there'll be many an awkward moment between us and perhaps if they're pre-warned then I can get away with it. And I'm such a cliche about it too: stuttering, variations of useless word vomit and saying few words as possible, eyes wandering as I look for the nearest exit when there's a lull in conversation, the works. Want to spot an introvert, watch out for the one everyone talks over.
    That last one is one of the not-so-perky perks. This happens so often it doesn't even phase me anymore. Honestly, the alternative is just not appealing, 'cause then I'd have to be louder than the loudest person (usually an extrovert) and that's just messing with the group dynamic. It's best not to tinker with the balance of nature. Sure, there's a danger to growing comfortable with this because sometimes you just end up slipping through the cracks. It's all peachy until I actually want to be heard and find myself with no audience.
    There really should be a how-to manual for people with introverted friends. We are, in some ways, a little high maintenance. See, it's like this: I want to be invited to that party, but I don't want to go. In the words of Audrey Hepburn, "I don't want to be alone, I want to be left alone". I'll come to you when I'm ready for human interaction. Much like a cat, if you will. You may also want to note, quiet does not equal sad. I am generally a quiet person, and that will likely be the first thing you notice about me. Please recognize the significance of me seeking you out to talk.
    Oftentimes I feel like extroverts have it made. It's nice to think that people will recognize this inner amazing being hiding behind all that awkward mess and take the time to get to know you and find out the gem you really are, or whatever. As magical as that sounds, first impression is everything, and I'm an odd cookie from the get-go. (Doesn't stop me from holding on to the dream of that guy who, for whatever reason, finds my awkwardness insanely adorable).
    This is the struggle: there've been times when I felt like I was using the whole personality thing to conclude that I'm simply not wired to be around people so I won't even try. Then I get the crazy idea to actually put myself out there, and It. Is. Draining. Small talk grates on my nerves. If I don't have anything to say, I say nothing. And, I kid you not, when I'm doing all that I can to come up with things to talk about, one of two things happens: a)totally useless trivia slips out of my mouth, usually followed by crickets, or b)I talk so much while smiling maniacally that my cheeks physically hurt. Don't knock it til you try it? Yeah, tried it, knocking the hell out of it, next?
    What do I do with all the time freed up by avoiding humankind? I read novels. Tons of them. (Side note: anytime someone asks me what I do for fun, and specifies that I not say reading, I kind of want to sock them. It's a legitimate enjoyable activity, dammit!) I spend an insane amount of time daydreaming. Believe me, it's quite entertaining in my head (I know that sounds a lot like something a crazy person would say, and I lack proof showing otherwise, but you'll just have to trust me on this one). I'm busy worrying myself over problems, some of which aren't even my own. I have my handful of friends I genuinely enjoy spending time with and talking to, who get and, dare I say, enjoy my special brand of humor. Who appreciate that I'm not broken; I don't need to be fixed. With whom conversations just flow.
Not forced. Not coerced.
Just present.


1 comment: