Wednesday, January 06, 2016

To Sum Up...

    Congratulations, you lived to see another year! The joys of the leap year are once again upon us, for which I am grateful, because now my birthday will be on a Thursday :). I can't complain much about 2015...to be honest the first half of it is such a blur. It wasn't the greatest year for America though, what with the sky rocketed incidents of racism, domestic terrorism, and the icing on the cake, Donald Trump. Although, pretty much everyone can get married now, and Trevor Noah is on the Daily Show, so there's hope for them yet. For Kenya, I'd say we've had worse. Westgate mall was reopened, props for that. A visit from the US president AND the Pope ain't too shabby. But then we reverted to thinking attempts at westernization is a good idea, and the horror show that is Nairobi Diaries was born. Seriously, if you haven't checked it out, please do. It's on YouTube and, yes, it's as awful as I'm making it sound, but even so, try as you might, you just can't look away.
    I turned 21, finally went clubbing (wasn't too bad after some liquid courage), and got to meet my so-ridiculously-adorable-it-should-be-illegal nephew. Went to school with braided hair for the first time and had to re-introduce myself to the entire campus. I no longer scoff at the idea of people not being able to tell that Clark Kent is Superman because of his glasses; apparently braids have the same effect. Also, and this was a monumental moment in my life, I finally got a pair of glasses I like, which, in almost-blind world, is basically up there with winning the lottery.
    I'd like to say I checked off all my 2015 resolutions, but I don't remember them, so let's just assume I did. This year, I intend to keep it simple. I'll be turning 22 (best believe that song will be my ear worm for the entire month of March) as my classmates are still sporting -teen in their ages, but I shall welcome it gracefully. This is my list (kindly disregard my earlier Facebook post claiming otherwise):

  • Bake more (turns out I'm bloody good at it). I've actually made headway with this one, with a red velvet cake and brownies. Contain yourselves.
  • Be more conscious of what foods I eat (sometimes naughty me stares good me down as she orders a large pizza from Papa John's).
  • Curse less. (Not very optimistic about this one. Might actually get booted off).
  • Revert to British English (saying 'elevator' just feels wrong).
  • Keep my grades up (i.e. have no social life and stock up on chocolate and wine).
  • Practice walking in heels. I have a pair of 4 inch whose outrageous purchase needs to be justified.
    That's pretty much it. I suppose it's too much of a stretch to hope that use of the word 'literally' will die with 2015. Along with the creation of new labels. Honestly, how often does the topic of one's sexuality come up that it warrants the bombardment of new labels popping up every other day? Latest one I heard was 'heteroflexible' which basically means "mostly straight". I just...can we not? Another one, and probably a pipe dream as well, is people making out racism as something black people made up. Frankly they annoy me more than the actual racists. While I'm at it, Donald Trump. It baffles me that there are actually people out there taking him seriously. PRAY THE CRAY AWAY.
    Parting shot: I found this gem sometime last year and almost peed laughing. Get yourself a corner and, for your own sake, don't drink anything as you read:

XD:
Favorite meme of 2015

4 comments:

  1. what about dating Maryanne...you havent mentioned that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would seem that I'm on Cupid's shit list at the moment

      Delete
  2. Good to know you bake. The first thing you must do for us when you get back. ☺

    ReplyDelete