Sunday, May 18, 2014

Work in Progress

    So, this is the where I begin to share my weight loss journey (this is me assuming that this is indeed a weight loss journey & not in fact a colossal waste of time).
    Rest easy, this is not another of those super skinny girls who claim to 'need to lose some weight' and in turn cause you to think not-so-nice thoughts about said skinny girl (I can't use the B-word; it's Sunday). THIS IS REAL PEOPLE. I won't share the number on the scale (that's sacrilege!), but I am currently a size 14.
    Don't get me wrong, any girl can rock any size. This is is not a betrayal of my fellow plus-size beauties, so you can put your pitch forks down. I've been a big girl since the day I was born (came in at a whopping 4 point something kg) and for the first 18 years of my life I rocked my God-given curves with my chin up and a spring to my step.
    I refer to last year as my year of hibernation because I did pretty much of nothing. That, coupled with the fact that I am the poster child for non-athletes, led to weight gain that I wasn't all for flaunting. From the beginning I've declared and strongly felt that 2014 is my year, and so far it has surpassed my expectations. After receiving my admission letter from U of R, I'm kinda on a roll, so guess what? This crazy gal signed up for boot camp! Yup, shit just got serious.
    The reason for taking such somewhat drastic measures is because I tried doing it on my own, then I was reminded I'm a big girl for a reason. We've all been through this before. Getting all psyched up and giving yourself a pep-talk about how you'll give up fries/get on that treadmill/ start doing sit-ups tomorrow (this is usually after pigging out on something either deep fried or smothered in chocolate). You'll be on track for the first 4 days, then the despair sets in because, let's face it, some of us were just not built for delayed gratification. Plus, I was getting my weight loss tips from Google for crying out loud! I needed someone who knew their stuff if I had any hope of reaching my weight loss goals.
    Thus prompted my decision to look for a boot camp program. I found a convenient one (on Google, no less) whose time I could make & location was easily accessible. Best. Decision. Ever! Sure, I get my ass whooped 3 times a week and leave having all my muscles in agony, but to be honest it feels awesome to be active again. Not to mention it's more bearable when it's a bunch of us groaning in pain. I exercise with a really fascinating & friendly group, & awesome trainers. Plus, ever since I got on this track, I find myself automatically making better choices when it comes to food. I didn't have an epiphany or anything. More like, when I'm tempted to go roam in the fridge, I remember that run I went for, or those blasted burpees, and I think, 'I didn't do all that in vain!' (Actually I think 'get behind me Satan!', but anyway...)
    I've been to seven sessions now, and I plan to continue going up until I leave for school. It's not easy, but I believe it's worth it. So for all you chicas out there going through this, you are not alone! And for those waiting for a sign, here it is. START! You're welcome to ask for details on the boot camp, anyone can join.
Keep your eyes peeled for updates.


No comments:

Post a Comment